Measuring for Your Mecho/5 Roller Shade
Step 1: Decide how you will be mounting the shade – Top Mount or Wall Mount.
- A Top Mount, also known as a Ceiling Mount, mounts on the ceiling or inside top of the window frame.
Wall Mount (Back or Face Mount)
- A Wall Mount (Back or Face Mount) hangs on the outside of the actual window frame, overlapping the window frame enough to cover maximum privacy and light blockage. We recommend adding 3 to 4 inches of overlap to each side, where possible.
Mecho brackets are not designed to be side mounted.
Step 2: Now that you’ve decided which mounting option to go with, it’s time to measure!
- Metal Tape Measure
- Easy Measuring Guide
Measuring Inside Mount Width:
Width is the outside of the left bracket to the outside of the right bracket measurement.
Measure the window opening in three places: top, middle, and bottom. Log the narrowest measurement on the Easy Measuring Guide. Measure to the nearest 16th inch, and round down for inside mounts.
Always double or triple check your measurements!
A Note on Width and Deductions:
- The shadecloth will be about 1 ½” narrower than the Bracket to Bracket measurement.
- 1 ¼” deduction on the side of the cord control and ¼” deduction on the idle end
- The Mecho/5 headrail will be made to this exact width – a deduction is only taken from the fabric. If the shade is going between jambs and you need a little room for clearance, we recommend deduction 3/8” from the tight actual width to get a new, easy-fitting Bracket-to-Bracket width.
Measuring Outside Mount Width:
Since there is a gap between the edge of the fabric and the edge of the bracket (1 ¼” on control side and ¼” on idle end), we recommend that you overlap your window by four inches on each side for maximum coverage.
Mark the outside edges of where you intend on mounting the brackets and use that width. Take your measurement, and write it down on the measuring guide. Submit measurements to the nearest 16th of an inch.
Always double or triple check your measurements.
The length includes the distance from the top of the bracket to the bottom of the fabric when fully lowered. Measure the desired shade coverage, write it down, and then remeasure to check your measurements.
Refer to the chart below to ensure that you have the proper mounting space and that you’re taking the most accurate measurements!
|Minimum Frame Depth Shallow Mounting Surface:||2 1/2″|
|Minimum Frame Depth Flush Inside Mounting Surface:||3 1/4″|
|Inside Mount – Bracket to Bracket Measurement.|
|Outside Mount – Add on EACH side:||4″|
|Outside Mount – Length: Add for wall mount and overlap on bottom:||6″|